Food from around the Puget Sound. It is about good sources, great eating and unusual foods.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

What have I been doing?

I have been busy doing a lot and not doing enough, summer is here and I know that a little effort would put more print on-line, but I am finally enjoying the weather.  Before I move on, I would like to mention something I just had a moment to reflect on, when I was young I remember my parents doing some things with food that I thought was odd then and even odder as I grew older and had the opportunity to live in other areas of the US. This has to do with the last Post that I put up about how some things need to travel to get something worth eating.

One such thing was my mother eating and introducing to us kids, avocados by serving it with sugar sprinkled over it. My father I remember eating them with soy sauce. Now I know that even as a kid I thought it was odd. Not only did it not taste of anything I could relate to except the sweet of the sugar and the saltiness of the soy sauce, the texture was not all that appealing. Mind you this was in the Washington D.C. area in the early 60's. Another odd "treat" was a cantaloupe with vanilla ice cream in the center where the seeds where removed. Now that I have the perspective of time and experience, I know that my parents were looking to capture the tastes of food they loved but had to settle on what was available to them in the area we lived in. Both of them grew up in Hawaii and as you can imagine avocados and cantaloupes were picked and eaten when they were ready, ripe and flavorful. Which was not the case in DC in the 60's, which came to use hard as rocks and without any trace of flavor or sweetness (melons).

As you can imagine the up side, was we learned what was in season and available to us in that part the country it opened up a whole new world of tastes and foods for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment